Dr. Nancy’s practice is rooted in the principle of prevention, which starts with good old fashion oral hygiene maintenance. Here are some quick tips from Dr. Nancy to keep your gums nice and healthy and your smile bright and shiny:
• Schedule your biannual cleanings. Dr. Nancy (and the American Dental Association) recommend professional cleanings twice a year.
The benefits of these cleanings cannot be understated. They can help you catch problems such as decay, gum disease, or cancer at an early stage when they’re still treatable (not to mention more affordable to take care of). On top of that, they remove hard plaque that simply cannot be removed by daily brushing and flossing alone.
Even if you haven’t had a cleaning in years, it’s never too late to treat your teeth and get them back on the right track!
• Brush with a fluoride toothpaste. Fluoride is proven by science to be a tooth’s best friend.
• Minimize sugary foods, coffee, and tobacco. Sugar, coffee, and tobacco are proven by science to not be a tooth’s best friend.
• Use a quality electric toothbrush if possible. Studies show that electric toothbrushes provide superior plaque removal to regular manual toothbrushes.
• Floss daily before bedtime. Food that’s left between teeth causes gum inflammation and tooth decay. Flossing is the only way to remove it. A toothbrush just can’t get between teeth like floss can.
What is a crown?
A crown is a tooth-shaped “cap” that is placed and covered over a tooth in order to restore the tooth’s shape, size, and strength, and improve its appearance. Crowns can be made out of a variety of different materials, such as gold alloy, stainless steel, porcelain, ceramic, resin, and zirconia.
Why is a crown needed?
There are many reasons a dental crown may be needed, including:
1. To protect a weak tooth from breaking;
2. To restore an already broken or worn down tooth;
3. To support a tooth with a large filling when there is not a lot of tooth left; and
4. To cover teeth that are misshapen or severely discolored;
What is the procedure for getting a crown?
1. Dr. Nancy will prepare the tooth at issue to ensure that the crown will fit properly over it.
2. Dr. Nancy will take an impression of the tooth and its surrounding area to ensure that the crown is customized to your mouth and fits just right.
3. Dr. Nancy will fit the tooth with a temporary crown until your permanent crown is ready.
4. Dr. Nancy will fasten your new customized crown to your tooth with a special adhesive and ensure that your crown fits correctly and comfortably.
Are you missing one or more teeth?
Well, you’re not alone! The American Dental Association reports that the average adult between 20 and 64 years has three decayed or missing teeth. Fortunately, you have multiple options for replacing these missing teeth, including dental bridges.
A dental bridge replaces missing teeth with artificial teeth and literally “bridges” the gap created by missing teeth. Bridges can be made from gold, alloys, porcelain or a combination of these materials, and are attached to surrounding teeth for support.
What are the benefits of dental bridges?
Dental bridges can:
• Restore your smile;
• Restore your ability to properly chew and speak;
• Maintain the shape of your face;
• Distribute the forces in your bite properly by replacing missing teeth; and
• Prevent remaining teeth from drifting out of position.
Why trust Dr. Nancy for your dental bridge?
All dental bridges are not created equal! A high quality, aesthetically pleasing dental bridge takes meticulous attention to detail and advanced hand skills, something Dr. Nancy prides herself in.
During your first visit for getting a dental bridge, Dr. Nancy will begin by preparing the teeth on either side of the gap (called the “abutment teeth”). This will require Dr. Nancy to re-contour those teeth to allow room for a crown to be placed over them.
Next, Dr. Nancy will take an impression of your teeth, which will serve as a model from which your customized bridge and crowns will be made. Dr. Nancy will then design a temporary bridge fitted to your teeth while your custom bridge is being made.
Once your permanent dental bridge is ready, Dr. Nancy will remove your temporary bridge and cement the permanent bridge. She will then check and adjust your new bridge to ensure that it fits perfectly!
Veneers What are dental veneers?
Dental veneers (sometimes called porcelain veneers or porcelain laminates) are thin, custom-made shells that are bonded to teeth to cover the front surface in order to improve their appearance. Veneers can improve teeth color, shape, size, and length.
What types of problems do veneers fix?
Veneers are routinely used to fix:
• Teeth that are discolored.
• Teeth that are worn down.
• Teeth that are chipped or broken.
• Teeth that are misaligned, uneven, or irregularly shaped.
• Teeth with gaps between them.
What is Invisalign treatment?
Invisalign are clear, removable aligners that gradually straighten your teeth. Unlike traditional metal braces, Invisalign does not use brackets or wires. Invisalign aligners are FDA-approved and contain no BPA, BPS, latex, or gluten. They are thin, clear, and fit snugly over your teeth, making them virtually invisible.
How do I get Invisalign treatment and how does it work?
The first step is to schedule a free consultation with Dr. Nancy by calling the office. At your consultation, Dr. Nancy will help you determine whether Invisalign treatment is right for you.
If Invisalign is right for you, Dr. Nancy will create a unique, digital treatment plan that maps out the exact movements of your teeth. Dr. Nancy will then design your Invisalign aligners to apply the right amount of force to the right places at the right time based on your plan. Dr. Nancy will be with you every step of the way to monitor your progress and ensure that your aligners fit correctly.
What are the main benefits of Invisalign treatment?
Invisalign aligners are virtually invisible — people may not even notice you’re wearing them. You can remove them to eat and drink, to brush and floss, or for special occasions.
Unlike other brands, Invisalign clear aligners are made from patented SmartTrack material, which is more comfortable and provides a better fit. Invisalign aligners are also trimmed based on your gum line for comfort and appearance.
Professional teeth whitening is faster, more effective, and longer lasting than treatments you find over the counter. Dr. Nancy can brighten your teeth by five to ten shades in a single session. Dr. Nancy may also prescribe some medication for you to use at home that helps the whitening process.